Harlequin, May 2010
Look and Lose -- Same Calories, More Food!
Includes tips and healthy meals for kids at risk
- Overweight and at risk for diabetes?
- Diagnosed as diabetic or prediabetic?
- Worried about heart disease?
- Need to lower your blood pressure or cholesterol?
- Need to lose weight healthfully?
- Want to prevent your children from getting diabetes?
- The latest research, revealing the four powerful nutrients that proactively beat back diabetes and its impact
- More than 100 color photos of picture-perfect food comparisons that help you make the right choices
- Tips for how to beat diabetes in any restaurant -- from fast food
to haute cuisine
Ask any doctor or nutritionist who treats patients with diabetes: the first focus for controlling the disease is a healthy eating plan. But typical diabetic eating plans have been all about what you can't eat and what to do if you fall prey to a craving for foods you shouldn't have.
But now a typical day in the life of a diabetic might start with a smoked salmon-and-dill omelet, continue to a lunch of three-bean chili, salsa and guacamole, and finish with a dinner of grilled shrimp and shaved fennel, topped off by a dessert of chocolate terrine. It's a kind of eating that virtually guarantees not just control of the disease and a satisfying of the appetite, but an emphasis on specific nutrients that actually target diabetes, beating back its potential side effects and maintaining the healthy weight that is key to controlling the disease.
In Eat & Beat Diabetes with Picture Perfect Weight Loss, Dr. Howard Shapiro uses the same visual method of food comparisons that made his bestselling weight-loss books so popular and easy to use. Now he has teamed with top chef Franklin Becker, a diabetic himself, and together they reveal the secrets to a diet that can actually help you prevent and beat diabetes -- without depriving yourself of delicious food.
- Dr. Shapiro's Beat Diabetes Pyramid -- a simple way to understand the food groups that fight diabetes and help you lose weight
- 50 recipes from the nation's premier chefs, which range from simple to sophisticated, so anyone can make tasty meals regardless of time or skill
- A 7-day sample meal plan
paperback | ISBN: 9780373892181 | Publication Date: May 2010
"You might think this is more of a diet book than a cookbook, but you would be wrong. This book is filled with absolutely yummy recipes, with some added information to explain the why's of it all. One of my very favorite items in this book is a chart on page 53 called 'Bite or Burn' which gives you the exercise equivalent of common foods. For example, a Nacho Bell Grande is the equivalent of 1.8 hours of race walking, and 3 doughnut holes equals 21 minutes on the stairmaster!"
--Cooking Up Reviews